Pages

Saturday 27 October 2018

I give up my translation career.

Ever since I got my degree in English, I've worked as a translator, as I had spent some optional credits in undergraduate Translation modules. I would translate for charities for free while teaching English and French privately. As soon as I realised I could do it, I signed up as a translator at the tax office; but clients wouldn't contact me as frequently as I would like them to. Later on, I got a job as an in-company English teacher and combined both activities, as well as private tuition, for a long time. 

And that's pretty much the way I've got along in recent years.

Working as a freelance translator or a proofreader is extremely challenging in Spain. It's an unsteady job and clients tend to bargain the rates. I can do it as long as I get a stable income from private tuition, in-company teaching or occupational training courses, as paying public insurance is extremely expensive for freelancers in this country.

I've given in to the seduction of liberal ideas in recent months, but something within me refused to accept that left-wingers were those that steal money from the working class and give it to public workers, creating, thus, a terrible dependency upon the privileged few that provide public services.

Well, it's true.

Working conditions for Spanish freelancers are expected to worsen dramatically in 2019 so as to make us give up working freelance and apply for a proper job, as they're promising a €900 salary —regardless of whether small and medium companies can pay it or not—, or prepare for competitive public examinations. 

Of course, they aren't making decisions based on the economy but rather ideology.

Taking into account how unstable it is to translate freelance, I won't be able to pay public insurance by teaching privately while waiting for translation projects. So, I've resolved to give up my translation career and bet on teaching. I won't work for small English academies, though, as they pay little money (informally). That's crystal-clear for me.

As long as the illiterate moron that currently rules Spain, Pedro Sánchez, Ph.D. (😂), is in office, I won't pay more than €300 a month for my work (regardless of my monthly earnings).

The Kingdom of Spain abuses freelancers and family businesses against human rights.

It's over.


From Pixabay. Free of copyright.

No comments: